1. Today will be cooler and less humid with a high of about 89 and an overnight low around 65, the National Weather Service says, but there is a chance of severe thunderstorms popping up in the afternoon and evening. We also have our first Code Orange smog alert in a while.
2. The is meeting twice today, first in a work session at 1:30 p.m. to go over the , which goes into effect Oct. 1, and again in a regular session at 7 p.m. Both meetings are at 100 Cherokee St. Northeast Cobb Patch will have live coverage of the night meeting.
3. Today’s meetings come a day after the commissioners joined the for a lunch meeting with the county’s legislative delegation in Atlanta to discuss new county voting districts and the Transportation SPLOST. According to the Marietta Daily Journal, Northeast Cobb school board member David Banks took a lot of heat during that meeting for pushing instead of working with the rest of the board on .
4. is holding an informational meeting at 3:30 p.m. for people interested in participating in a service project to make blankets for Project Linus. Anyone in the community is welcome to join students and staff in the project.
5. In high school sports today, softball teams travel across Northeast Cobb to for a doubleheader, with the JV game at 5 p.m. and the varsity scheduled for 6:30. Kell’s volleyball teams play host to Hillgrove (JV at 5 p.m., varsity at 6). Sprayberry has a varsity volleyball doubleheader at Kennesaw Mountain, playing the host Mustangs at 5:15 and Etowah at 6:15. Lassiter’s varsity volleyball team heads to McIntosh High in Peachtree City to play the host school and Sandy Creek, starting at 5:30 p.m.