1. How do you feel about the decision at Tuesday's Cobb County Planning Commission meeting to deny Marietta Recycling's land-use permit application to operate a scrap metal yard and transfer station on Canton Road? I can only imagine the amount of metal waste produced in our large county. Recycling is important. If not the Canton Road property, where should a scrap metal yard and transfer station be located?
The Planning Commission recommended denying the Marietta Recycling application by a 5-0 vote. It is up to the Board of Commissioners to vote it up or down, which will occur on Tuesday, May 17. Will you attend the May 17 vote?
2. During the Monday Town Hall meeting, Senator Chip Rogers discussed the changes to the HOPE scholarship. In February 2011, the Georgia House of Representatives passed the HOPE bill with one major change — Zell Miller Scholars must keep a 3.3 GPA instead of the 3.5 GPA. The bill cut the scholarships to 90 percent for all but the brightest students and eliminates paying for fees, books, and remedial classes. Do you know a student affected by the change? Do you believe the change hinders some students?
3. Could your child benefit for learning martial arts? It's a great way to build confidence and stay fit. Your child can learn traditional karate and self-defense with certified instructor and second degree black belt, Nicole Reyes. Classes are held at Code Dynamics Inc., 4710 Ecton Drive #A. There is a one-time registration fee of $15 for an individual or $25 for a family. $40 monthly fee for classes. $30 for each additional family member. Uniform $20. For more information, call Nicole at 770-888-3494.
4. Have you always dreamed of performing on stage? Does theatre acting interest you? Now is your chance! CenterStage North Theatre announces non-equity auditions for “There Goes the Bride” by Ray Cooney and John Chapman. Auditions will be held today from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at The Art Place Mountainview, 3330 Sandy Plains Road.
Director Jerry Jobe is looking for four women and four men with British Dialect (one man - Australian Dialect). All roles available. Please come prepared for cold readings from the script with a headshot and resume. What’s it about: Getting a bride ready is always a trying time but when the bride's mother is 'helped' by interfering relatives, and the bride's father is in the process of falling in love with a seductive girl that only he can see, you’re guaranteed to be laughing all night. Show runs from August 5 - 13.
For more information send an email to email@example.com.
If you get a role, please let Northeast Cobb Patch know so that we can tell the world.
5. The Board of Education has its Budget Meeting tonight at the Cobb County School District Board Room, 514 Glover Street, Marietta. 6 p.m.