Northeast Cobb Election Guide

All you need to know to get ready to vote on Tuesday.

The early voting is over, absentee ballots should be turned in and the final polls have been taken.

All that's left to determine the next president of the United States and a handful of state and local offices is Tuesday's general election.

In Cobb, the polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at all precincts. In Georgia, it's also state law to provide photographic identity in order to vote.

According to Cobb Elections, 20 percent of the county's nearly 400,000 registered voters have already cast ballots.

In addition to the presidential race between Democratic incumbent Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney, Northeast Cobb voters also will be voting in the 6th District Congressional race. Republican incumbent Tom Price of Roswell faces East Cobb Democrat Jeff Kazanow.

Two Georgia Public Service Commission seats are on the ballot, as is the controversial Charter School Amendment to the state Constitution.

Most of the local races involving Northeast Cobb candidates were determined in the primaries, or incumbents are running unopposed. Those names are included on the ballot, except winners of judicial races, which were non-partisan.

Republican Cobb Commission chairman Tim Lee was re-elected after winning a runoff against Bill Byrne. There is no Democratic candidate, although East Cobb resident Craig Harfoot is waging a write-in campaign.

Cobb Board of Education member David Banks and state House members Don Parsons and Matt Dollar also won new terms representing the East Cobb area after defeating Republican challengers in the primary. No Democrats qualified to run for those positions.

State Sen. Judson Hill, a Republican who represents Northeast Cobb, is unopposed.

In the State House District 36 race, Republican incumbent John Carson is facing a challenge from Democrat Kevin "Big Kev" Westphal.

See the attached PDFs for a sample ballot, and a precinct-by-precinct breakdown of 2008 election turnout in Cobb.

If you are unsure of your precinct, check your voter registration card. The locations and addresses for each precinct are listed below.

If you live in ZIP codes 30062, 30067 or 30068, please refer to the East Cobb Patch General Election Guide.



PRECINCT NAME LOCATION ADDRESS Addison Addison Elementary School 3055 Ebenezer Road Bells Ferry 2 J.J. Daniell Middle School 2900 Scott Road Bells Ferry 3 Noonday Baptist Church 4121 Canton Road Blackwell Blackwell Elementary School 3470 Canton Road Davis Davis Elementary School 2433 Jamerson Road Elizabeth 2 Kincaid Elementary School 1410 Kincaid Road Elizabeth 5 Sandy Plains Baptist Church 2825 Sandy Plains Road East Piedmont Elizabeth Baptist Church 315 Kurtz Road Gritters Crossview Baptist Church 1100 Piedmont Road Kell Kell High School 4770 Lee Waters Road Lassiter Lassiter High School 2601 Shallowford Road Mabry Mabry Middle School 2700 Jims Road McCleskey McCleskey Middle School 4080 Maybreeze Road Marietta 4B Nobis Works 1480 Bells Ferry Road Nicholson Nicholson Elementary School 1599 Shallowford Road Post Oak Wesley Chapel United Methodist Church 4495 Sandy Plains Road Rocky Mount Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church 2240 Shallowford Road Sandy Plains Holy Trinity Lutheran Church 2922 Sandy Plains Road Simpson Simpson Middle School 3340 Trickum Road Sprayberry Piedmont Church of Christ 1630 Piedmont Road Willeo Ray-Thomas Presbyterian Church 4644 Sandy Plains Road

Craig Harfoot November 05, 2012 at 02:45 AM
Wendy I did not run against Tim Lee in 2010, I believe it was Larry Savage. I ran in 2004. Tim Lee did win the Republican primary in a run off with the aid of the MDJ preferring Bill Byrne in the primary but not in the runoff. Lee spent $450,000 double the usual amount because it was a negative campaign against Bill Byrne to drive voter turnout low, 29,000. Lee only garnered 15,000 votes to Byrne's 14,000. TIm Lee only had 39% of the primary vote and the other candidates garnered 61% of the vote. The write in line that exists but is seldom used is to correct what we in Cobb county have just experienced. Money buying an office for a candidate that had insufficient voter support to keep their office. That money was supplied to Tim Lees donors by the 1.8 million dollar Alternative Analysis Study prior to the TSPLOST vote. I qualified as a write in candidate to give Cobb voters a choice. If Cobb county residents tell enough of their friends and neighbors the write in option will do its intended job. Craig Harfoot write in candidate for Cobb Commission Chairman


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »