Updated 9:45 a.m.
Fire crews assisted the homeowner in burying Duncan before they left the scene, paramedic Lt. Joseph D. Bryant told Northeast Cobb Patch in an email.
Flames engulfed the house when firefighters arrives this morning, and the fire remains under investigation, said Bryant, who's with the Fire Department's Special Operations Division.
A heroic dog saved his owner from a Northeast Cobb house fire but died in the blaze on Joel Drive early today, WSB-TV reported.
Lt. Mike Bell said flames were coming out of every window and shooting through the roof when the fire engines arrived, and firefighters were still putting out hotspots at 6 a.m.
The fire started in the center of the house, where the homeowner said he had a space heater running, WSB reported.
The only casualty was Duncan, the boxer who awoke his owner of four years while the fire raged.
The owner said Duncan barked to wake him and save him from the flames but then refused to budge as the owner tried to pull him outside, WSB reported.
Return to Northeast Cobb Patch for updates.