1. It’s going to be steamy today, according to the National Weather Service. Expect partly cloudy skies with a high around 93 degrees, lots of humidity and a 40 percent chance of rain from the afternoon through the night. Severe thunderstorms are possible in the late afternoon and evening. The overnight low will be about 71.
2. The Cobb County Citizens Oversight Committee last week recommended saving money in the library system by buying fewer books and magazines. If you like having books in your library, however, you can show your support by going to the at 266 Roswell St. in Marietta today or Saturday and shopping at Cobb Friends of the Library’s special book sale. Items start at $1, and all proceeds will supplement the library materials budget. The sale runs from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3. Northeast Cobb’s becomes the center of the Cobb swimming world this weekend, starting at 10 this morning, for the 36th annual Patti Wilder State Qualifying Meet. More than 70 neighborhood teams are participating in the meet, at which swimmers will try to post times that qualify for the Georgia Parks and Recreation Association meet July 22 and 23 in Carrollton, The Marietta Daily Journal reports.
4. Northeast Cobb Patch always tries to help you get ready for the weekend, and today is no exception. We’ll have our preview of the best garage sales at noon, and we’ll tell you all about East Cobb’s in our Bites Nearby at 5 p.m.
5. Looking past the weekend, the Cobb County Board of Education will hold a special meeting at 8 a.m. Monday for the official swearing-in of new at the in Marietta.