If you have a child going away to school this fall, chances are you are up to your eyeballs in preparations. From over-the-counter medications to bedding ensembles, creating a “home away from home” for your child is no simple task.
Thankfully, your local retailers are making it a little easier by offering significant savings on household goods—many designed just for the school traveler.
This week Frugal Family features some great bargains and tips on shopping for off-to-school home goods PLUS an “Off To College” checklist to help you organize your efforts and avoid last minute buying.
Noteworthy “Off To College” Sales:
Target Stores: Prices Good Through Saturday, Aug. 4, 2012.
- Target offers an ingenious application called uStyler, which allows you to shop for and design your dream dorm room at the same time. It even shows you which back-to-school design selections are on sale. Click here to try the uStyler.
- Stone Thompson Sofa Bed. Sale Price $199.99. Reg: $229.99. Two-Position Adjustability, Click-Clack Technology, 7" Foam Core Construction Mattress on Hardwood Frame Espresso, Wood Finish, Dimensions: 32.5 " H x 72.1 " W x 32.6 " D.
- Carson 5-Shelf Bookcase, Cherry. Sale Price $87.99. Reg: $109.99. This five-shelf bookcase is the perfect size for any room or home office. The clean lines and classic cherry finish blends in with any decor and keeps clutter at bay. Mix and match with other pieces from this collection to make a custom look all your own.
- Dirt Devil Easy Lite Cyclonic Quick Vac. Sale Price $39.99. Original Price $44.99. Temporary price cut. Maneuvering around your home and up staircases is easy with this lightweight vacuum. Automatic height adjustment and conveniently stored onboard tools aid in multiple surfaces with hard to reach places. The bagless design with cyclonic filtration allow for added dirt separation.
Belk Stores: Prices Good Through Saturday, Aug. 4, 2012.
- gpx Culinair Compact Mini Refrigerator. Sale $99.99. Original Price $154.99. This small compact refrigerator is ideal for the dorm room, office, bar, bedroom or nursery. State of the art technology is earth-friendly (no CFCs) and ultra quiet. Adjustable thermostat, adjustable shelving and a reversible door round out this 1.7 cu. ft. capacity compact fridge.
- Oster Microwave Oven. Sale $89.99. Original Price $119.99. The Oster Countertop Microwave Oven has 700-watt of total cooking power and 10 adjustable power levels for customized cooking. There are one-touch cook settings for potato, popcorn, pizza, beverage, frozen dinner and reheat, as well as a defrost function set to speed or weight. Each 0.7-cubic foot microwave comes with a digital clock and cooking timer for those items that don't have individual presets. The microwave oven even comes with a programmable child lock that prevents unsupervised use. The premium stainless steel design makes this microwave both functional and stylish.
Belk Village Green: 3636 Dallas Hwy Sw, Suite 100, Marietta 30064. 770-590-9665
Stores to Check Every Week Until Your Shopping Is Completed:
Whether you are looking for that perfect designer “little black dress” or are designing your dream bedroom, you should consider visiting Ross. You may have to wade through a few polyester blends to get there, but it is well worth the time. At 60 to 80 percent off retail store prices, Ross offers quality, popular and designer brands at a fraction of the cost. And because they slash prices from the start, Ross stores don’t have particular or advertised “sales,” every day is a major sale on everything.
The first time you see the beautiful comforter you just bought for $49.99 at the mall for $150, you will understand what I mean. Besides clothing, shoes and accessories for the whole family, Ross offers a large selection, variety—and savings—on the following:
- Bedding, Lines and Curtains: There is a large selection of the very best brands including Ralph Lauren and Egyptian cottons. The key is to be patient and check each week until you find the colors, styles and sizes you want. I have never had to wait over a month when wanting a particular kind of sheet.
- Cookware: From basic cooking pan sets, dishes and Kitchen Aid accessories to gourmet cooking utensils, Ross offers large variety of day-to-day items and great gift ideas.
- Furniture: Think Pier One or HomeGoods at even better prices. There are lots of one-of-a-kind items such as chairs, ottomans bookshelves, picture frames and home décor.
- Hardback Books, Journals, Bibles: Cookbooks, biographies, fiction and packages sets make this section a must-go if you want to purchase a book as a gift.
- One-Of-A-Kind Gifts: When you enter a Ross store, there are usually several shelves at the front of the store displaying really special buys, trendy, seasonal or unique items. I have purchased everything from imported dark chocolates to wireless routers (for $25 last year) on these shelves. They are always worth a look.
Ross/Town Center: 50 Barrett Pkwy, Marietta 30066. 770-419-1203.
Ross/Acworth: 3384 Cobb Pkwy N.W., Acworth 30101. 770-917-0637.
The “Off To College” Checklist, below, contains just about every generic, over-the-counter medicine, laundry supplies and everything you can think of for creating a “home away from home”. Your best bet for getting everything on the list without spending a fortune is Dollar Tree.
Dollar Tree carries most of the medicines, brand name health and beauty aids, household tools and school supplies on the list. Items like ibuprofen, 3M mailing supplies and Crest or Colgate are often found here!
Powder Springs Store: 790 Powder Springs St, Marietta 30064. 770-420-2810.
Marietta Trade Center: 180 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta 30060. 770- 422-0823.
If you have kids going off to college, a detailed checklist is helpful so you won’t forget to pack a thing. After perusing many “Off To College” checklists, the following one seemed to be one of the more sensible ones.
- 2 sets of sheets & pillowcases
- Pillows with pillow protectors
- Mattress topper
- Floor cushions
- Trash can
- Full length mirror
- Shoe organizer
- Floor lamp
- DVD Player
- Alarm clock
- Storage cubes
- Under the bed box
- Storage locker with lock
- Laundry basket
- Laundry soap
- Fabric softener
- Stain treatment
- Roll of quarters
- Tabletop ironing board
- Power strip
- Stapler & staples
- Pencils & pens
- Pencil sharpener
- Index cards
- Desk lamp
- Hole punch
- Rubber bands
- Bulletin board
- 3 sets of towels
- Dental floss
- Stick on towel hook
- Cotton balls
- Shower caddy
- Flip flops
- Nail clippers
- Mini refrigerator
- Plate, bowl and cup
- Can opener
- ___Insurance card
- ___Cold medicine
- ___Heating pad
- ___Band aids
- ___Antibiotic ointment
- ___Hydrogen peroxide
- ___Rubbing alcohol
- Sewing kit
- Safety pins
- Sports gear
- Beach towel
- Winter coat
- Light bulbs
- Double sided tape
- Back pack
- Extension cord
(Courtesy of wikiparenting.parentsconnect.com/wiki/Off_to_College_Checklist)