Nicholson Elementary Renovations Approved
Upgrades to the Northeast Cobb school include the kitchen, media center and for electrical and technological work.
The Cobb Board of Education this week approved a renovation contract for Nicholson Elementary School.
The $504,965 cost is 18 percent, or $107,355, under the estimate made prior to the start of the current SPLOST III collection period.
Among the renovations at Nicholson include the following:
- Replacing the flooring in the walk-in cooler in the school kitchen;
- Replacing shelving in the media center;
- Replacing and upgrading an emergency generator and replacing switchgear;
- Fixture replacements;
- Adding feeder panels to the school's electrical system;
- Replacing and enhancing the Cobb school system-wide phone system.
Bon Building Services of Conyers was awarded the contract, and completion is estimated by July 19, right before the start of the 2013-14 school year.
In the proposed SPLOST IV project list, Nicholson would be in line for a gymnasium electrical updgrade estimated at $210,210.
Cobb voters are going to the polls between now and March 19 in the Cobb Education SPLOST IV referendum, which would extend the penny sales tax for school construction and maintenance from 2014-2018.