Lassiter, Kell Grab Playoff Wins
The Trojans' boys soccer and lacrosse teams and the Lady Longhorn lacrosse team advance.
Three Northeast Cobb high sports teams advanced in the Georgia High School Association playoffs Tuesday.
The busiest and most successful school was Lassiter:
- The boys lacrosse team reached the AAAAA quarterfinals with a dominant home win over Northview, 12-4. A big third quarter extended the Trojans’ 5-1 halftime lead to 11-3, according to the Lassiter Athletics Twitter feed. They’ll be home Friday night against East Coweta.
- The boys soccer team also was dominant, rolling to a 4-1 win at North Cobb in the AAAAA playoffs. The Warriors scored first, The Marietta Daily Journal reported, but the Trojans got first-half goals from Clay Dimick, Brandon Barbero and Will Robinson and a clincher from Robbie Cutchin with 12 minutes left in the win. They’ll play at Brookwood in the quarterfinals Friday.
- The boys tennis team’s season came to an end with a 3-1 quarterfinal loss at home to Alpharetta. “This was the best season for our varsity boys in many years,” reads a note on the Lassiter Tennis website. “Way to go, Trojans!”
Kell’s teams went 1-1 Tuesday:
- The boys soccer team lost at home to Starr’s Mill in the AAAA tournament.
- The girls lacrosse team triumphed in a high-scoring home game against South Forsyth, 17-12, to reach the A-AAAA quarterfinals. The Lady Longhorns will play at McIntosh or be home against Decatur on Friday.
The girls lacrosse teams from Pope and Sprayberry also played Tuesday, but both suffered season-ending losses on the road in Johns Creek. Sprayberry lost to Chattahoochee, 19-9, and Pope fell to Johns Creek.
The spring postseason continues tonight with baseball, lacrosse and soccer.
Lassiter and Pope host baseball doubleheaders. The Trojans play Harrison in a best-of-three series at 5 p.m., while the Greyhounds take on Northgate at 4:15.
In girls soccer, Lassiter is home at 6 p.m. against Kennesaw Mountain, and Pope hosts McIntosh at 5:30. Kell, meanwhile, travels to Fayette County to play Whitewater at 6:30.